Smart Mailbox is an admirable feature in the Apple Mail app that helps organize the email messages into a single mailbox, which you can manually categorize. It helps display all the emails you received regarding a specific project or group, from wherever they are stored in. Any server or program may face the issue of going through technical issues. Similarly, Smart Mailbox goes through some issues. One such case is that the Smart Mailbox does not work in Apple mail app. Let us see how to fix the Apple mail smart mailbox not working issue.
Steps To Fix The Issue
Free up the index
MacOS used to create an index for the drive to categorize the contents. These indices sometimes cause the issue.
Freeing up the index will sort out this issue.
- Step 1:Open your Mac and then go to the Finder icon.
- Step 2:Select Applications from the left side of the panel.
- Step 3:Select Utilities in the Application window and choose Activity monitor from the Utilities folder.
- Step 4:Click View and select All processes by clicking the drop-down menu.
- Step 5:Type “mds” in the search panel and press the Enter button.
- Step 6:Click mds or mdserver and select the force quit option to remove mds.
- Step 7:Perform these steps to every program and remove it.
- Step 8:After clearing the index, you can use the Smart Mailbox in Apple Mail.
Restart your mail app
Try restarting your Mail app before going through any technical troubleshooting process.
- Step 1:Open your Apple device and go to the Apple Mail app.
- Step 2:Click the Mail menu at the top of the page, and select Quit Mail from the drop-down list.
- Step 3:Relaunch the Mail app again by pressing the Shift button and again close the mail app.
- Step 4:Repeat the steps twice or thrice and try accessing the Smart Mailbox feature and make sure restarting works.
Remove the Plist files
- Step 1:Open your Mac and close all the programs running in the background.
- Step 2:Go to the Finder menu and click Go from the drop-down list.
- Step 3:Press and hold the Option key and click the Library icon.
- Step 4:Search and locate the Preference folder on the page and double-click on the Preference folder.
- Step 5:Select the Plist files from the list and right-click on the Plist files. Now, select Move to trash.
- Step 6:Now, go to the trash folder and empty it.
- Step 7:Open Library again and select Containers.
- Step 8:Select com.apple.mail from the containers folder and select Data.
- Step 9:Now, select Library and open Saved application state.
- Step 10:Search and locate the com.apple.mail savedstate files.
- Step 11:Choose them all and move them to trash.
- Step 12:Now, go to Library >>Mail >>Mail data >>Maildata Window.
- Step 13:Select Envelope Index, Envelope Index-shm, and other such files and move them all to trash.
- Step 14:After performing the above functions, go to the Mail app on your Apple device and make sure the Smart Mailbox features works.
Delete and create Smart Mailbox
If your mailbox doesn’t work in the mail app, then delete the mailbox and create a new one and try accessing the mailbox.
- Step 1:Open your Mac and go to the Mail app.
- Step 2:Select Mailbox in the side bar and click on the Delete option to delete the Mailbox.
- Step 3:Now go to the Mail app and select Mailbox.
- Step 4:Choose the New Smart Mailbox folder, provide the required details, and click OK. Now your Apple mail smart mailbox not working issue is resolved.