If you cannot sync Gmail account from the Gmail app on your mobile phone, then perform the troubleshooting methods mentioned below in this article.
To access all your Gmail emails on your Android mobile phone, you must have the Gmail app synchronized to it. The same is the scenario for accessing Gmail on iPhone as well. When the Gmail account is not synchronized, you might not be able to receive or send new emails. The existing emails won’t load on your mobile phone. You may get the ‘Account not synced’ error message on your phone.
- Step 1: Ensure the internet connectivity on your phone.
- Step 2: Close and relaunch the Gmail app.
- Step 3: Restart your device and open the Gmail app.
- Step 4: If the Gmail account is not synced, then proceed to the remaining steps.
Update the Gmail app in Android:
- Step 1: If the Gmail is not synced on your Android phone, then check whether the Gmail app is updated or not.
- Step 2: Open the Play Store app on your phone and locate the Gmail app.
- Step 3: If the app needs to be updated, then update the Gmail app.
- Step 4: Again, launch the app and check whether the emails are synced.
Manually Sync The Gmail App in Android To Fix Cannot Sync Gmail Account Issue:
- Step 1: Tap and open the Gmail app on your Android phone.
- Step 2: On the home screen, swipe down and sync the app manually.
- Step 3: If it does not sync, then open the Settings and tap the Accounts option.
- Step 4: Choose the Google option, then touch your Gmail account.
- Step 5: Now, tap the three-dots icon (Meatballs menu) at the top-left corner of the screen and tap the Sync Now option.
- Step 6: Launch the Gmail app again and check whether the Gmail account is synchronized now.
Set auto-sync in Android:
- Step 1: Turn on the Automated sync feature for your Gmail account using the below-mentioned steps.
- Step 2: Launch the Gmail app.
- Step 3: Tap on the menu icon on the left-hand side.
- Step 4: Touch the Settings option.
- Step 5: Tap your email account.
- Step 6: Scroll down the screen and see whether the Sync Gmail checkbox is enabled.
- Step 7: If not, tap the checkbox and enable it.
- Step 8: Tap and open Settings on your Android phone.
- Step 9: Go to the Apps and Notifications options and tap it.
- Step 10: Now, tap on the Gmail app on the next screen.
- Step 11: In the Gmail app page, tap on the Clear cache button.
- Step 12: Open the Gmail app again and verify whether the Gmail account is able to sync now.
Check the IMAP forwarding settings in Gmail:
- Step 1: If your Gmail account is not synchronized with the Mail app on your iPhone, then check the IMAP forwarding settings using the below-mentioned instructions.
Launch a web browser and access your Gmail account.
- Step 1: Go to the Settings page and select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Step 2: Now, scroll down the settings page, locate the IMAP access section, and click the Enable IMAP option.
Turn on the background app refresh option in iPhone:
- Step 1: Tap and open the Settings on your iPhone.
- Step 2: Locate the Gmail app and tap on it.
- Step 3: Then, turn on the Background app refresh option.
If the methods mentioned above did not solve the issue, then;
- Step 1: On Android: Uninstall the Gmail app and reinstall it.
- Step 2: On iPhone: Remove your Gmail account from the Mail app and re-add the account. If you still cannot sync Gmail account, click the call button available on the screen.