When you open the Outlook application to access the email account, at times, you may face the Outlook 2010 certificate error also called as security certificate error. The security certificate helps secure, encrypted email transmission from the email account to the mail server, after which the server decrypts the email message and sends it to the recipient mail account. The error occurs when the port value for the encryption type is incorrect, or the certificate becomes invalid or expired. There are different ways to solve the error, use the below methods to fix the problem.
View your security certificate:
- Step 1: In the Outlook application window, select File and then choose the Options menu.
- Step 2: Under Options, select Trust Center on the left panel and click the Trust Center Settings menu from the right panel.
- Step 3: Next, choose Email Security from the left side panel and then select Settings below Encrypted e-mail.
- Step 4: In the Certificates and Algorithm section, click the Choose option and select the certificate and view it.
- Step 5: You can view the certificate on your email account itself by clicking the encryption or security icon.
- Step 6: Next, select Signed By and choose Signer/Encryption Layer.
- Step 7: Click the View Details menu. After that, select View Certificate. This will be helpful to solve Outlook 2010 certificate error.
Check the security type and its port value:
- Step 1: Launch the Outlook 2010 application and click the File menu at the upper-left side.
- Step 2: From the left navigation panel, select the Info menu and then click Account Settings under Account Information on the right-side panel.
- Step 3: Select the Account Settings menu again, and the Account Settings window opens up.
- Step 4: In the Email panel, select your email account and then click the Change menu.
- Step 5: Under Internet E-mail Settings, you can check the User Information, Server Information, and Logon Information.
- Step 6: To check the server encryption and the port settings, click the More Settings button at the lower right end.
- Step 7: Verify the authentication settings for the outgoing server (SMTP) under the Outgoing Server tab.
- Step 8: Next, go to the Advanced tab, select the correct encryption connection for your email account, and set the appropriate port number for the Incoming and Outgoing servers.
- Step 9: Make sure the encryption types are correct as well.= for both the incoming and outgoing servers. Finally, click OK to save the mail server settings.
- Step 10: Keep only the domain name in the incoming and outgoing server settings, i.e., if you have set mail.domain.com, keep only domain.com.
- Step 11: Close the Outlook program and restart it. This should clear the Outlook 2010 certificate error.